Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Where Has All the Spirituality Gone?

I have a keen interest in holistic health and am very interested in spirituality, especially Eastern ideals. It brings calm and balance to my life. It makes me feel good. My husband seems to think Buddhism might be the next stop for me after I started wearing a bracelet last year that is engraved with a Buddhist concept, "Be still and know." Catholicism to Buddhism, it's a veritable spirituality tour.

However, I find it increasingly difficult to incorporate this kind of practice in one's life when trailed around by a three-year-old. Besides the obvious challenges of lack of quiet ("Mommy, what book are you reading? What is that smell? What are those pretty cards? When can we watch my princess DVD again?") and a myriad of tasks involved in the care and feeding of said child, I have been rewarded with a kid who keeps almost identical hours as I do. In fact, in some cases, she stays up later than me chatting in bed and I wake to her little voice in the morning. She's perfectly delightful but I find it a challenge to have to get up at 5:30 or 6 to have some "me time." You might be thinking, why not include her? I do. She loves my "52 Relaxing Rituals" cards and she experiences some aromatherapy on a regular basis. But, c'mon, we all know it's not the same. I am fortunate to have time to myself for other activities- errands, work, friends, a good book- but this one piece has not been resurrected yet.


Prior to having a child, I had time for contemplation and growth. There was continuity to that time. It helped me to become the person that was able and ready to be a wife and mother. I somewhat mourn that dedicated time for growth. But I know it will come again. Even now, every year that my daughter grows older and she is more independent (just how we want her!), I know that, soon enough, there will come a time when I am sad because she is doing here own thing completely. But, for now, can I please get an hour here and there to flip some medicine cards or work on some growth goals?

2 comments:

  1. (Is it OK for me to comment on your blog? Delete if not.)
    Your friendly neighborhood biblical scholar is just stopping by to say that the Buddhist phrase is like Psalm 46:10 ("Be still and know that I am God . . .") Some versions render the Hebrew "Cease striving. . ." I like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love "cease striving." Which is exactly what it means to me: be still and know... you are in the right place... doing the right thing... where you are meant to be... without worry.
    I first saw it at my mother-in-law's (where many of my breakthrough "moments" occur) via a Thich Nhat Hanh book.
    Comments always welcome!!

    ReplyDelete