Friday, January 23, 2009

Blackberry vs. iPhone

The time has come when I need to incorporate some new technology into my life. I am now working on the road enough, away from reliable wifi, that I need to start thinking about having better access to email etc. My current phone- an LG- is a pretty basic model. It's a phone, first and foremost, and pretty limited in its functions. But it is a friend and constant companion who has served me well. I remember when I first brought it home. It felt so technologically advanced. How soon things change.

So now I'm shopping around. My husband is a diehard Apple consumer. "Consumer" isn't quite the right word because his devotion transcends a mere purchasing of products. Of course, he has an iPhone. I use it occasionally when we are traveling. It really does have everything. I love using the browser, the nav system, and all the fun apps that have been downloaded (by the way, my career advice to you: if you want to make your millions, start creating an app for an iPhone). But, because of the price and the monthly access fees, I really didn't even consider it an option.

Then, over the holidays, I saw an ad for a Blackberry. Okay, I have to admit, part of why that little device looked so appealing is the cool frosted pink color which is one of the options. I started checking out the Curve and realized that I could get one for what seems to me a more affordable price. Let the comparison shopping begin!

Heading to Verizon, where I am currently a customer, I previewed the various options. I know I want a Qwerty keyboard and nothing too flippy. I know I need something I can grow into. I really like the features and look of the Blackberry. I like the fact I can synch my iCal and contacts to a Blackberry. The only thing that seems to be missing is the super-cool web browser that, on the iPhone, looks like I'm sitting in front of my computer screen at home. But, my goodness, the fees! Huge disappointment hit as I realized the monthly access fee is most definitely not in the cards right now.

By default, my husband is an AT&T customer. I have mixed feelings for AT&T based on some incidents in the early 90s. But, at this point, I might need to ditch my beloved Verizon and go on a family plan at AT&T. Then, it might be affordable. And AT&T has a good red color if I go with the Blackberry. So off I went to AT&T. There I encountered the lovely Justin. What a nice man! He patiently hung out with me for over an hour, answering my questions and even seeming to enjoy the experience at some points. Great customer service. Even better, he and I did a little digging and discovered the Curve that I might really want- the 8900. Currently only available in Canada, it has all the good Curve features with the upgraded browser of the Bold. This might be it! So I wait until February for it's alleged release date. The best news? My husband and I can have joint plans on AT&T whose total price will be equal to or less than what we're paying now.

In the meantime, the comparison shopping continues. I have until March to decide. Ultimately, I don't think I'm quite enough of a grownup for an iPhone. With the pricetag, I keep having these visions- nightmares really- of dropping it and either having to replace it or downgrade and, at that point, I'll be inextricably tethered to its charms. About that touchscreen: I just don't think, right now, I'm a touchscreen kind of girl. I have sausage-finger-itis with the iPhone. I'm told it will improve with use but what if it doesn't? Those little raised keys feel so much more natural to me. And the fingerprints. Oh, the fingerprints. I find myself obsessively wiping the iPhone. Do I want to be tied into that kind of care and feeding? All highly scientific factors, I know.

The over-thinking continues...

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain.

    My contract ends March 1 and I will be running from Sprint to either AT&T or to Verizon. I love my iPod touch and the thought have having that feature set almost everywhere - and not just when I'm near wifi - is intoxicating.

    But what is the smart money i.e. how do I position myself to have a lower TCO for communication services for my household. Moving into the Verizon world in preliminary research shows that I might be able to reduce my total communications bills by as much as a 3rd. ARGH!

    So I have 6 weeks to figure it out. But I tell you the figuring is beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you!! My contract ends March also. Maybe there is some divine symmetry that I will be waltzing to AT&T as you transition to my beloved Verizon. Or maybe AT&T will just deserve our business because they have all options- Blackberry, iPhone and discounted fees? In the capitalistic world should they not be rewarded for that benefit? the choices... I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete