Monday, January 12, 2009

The Half and Half Day (aka Split Personality)

Mondays are interesting days around here. Since I am both mommy and business owner there is a good deal of overlap of lives on a daily basis. Emails to answer while preparing meals or changing princess clothes; proposals written while Dora plays in the background. But nothing quite represents these different roles in my life- my split personality- like Mondays.

Monday mornings are 100% kid time, filled with Toddler Gym, Gymboree, play dates and other such kid events. But all needs to be wrapped up and we need to be headed home by 11:30. It is then a whirlwind of lunch, costume change (sometimes for both of us), and naptime. Literally, my heart races and it is a game of beat-the-clock to get to nap before the sitter arrives. Because we all know what happens if that isn't accomplished. The sitter is fun; too much fun to miss out on by doing something silly and useless like napping.

As I pull out of the driveway at 1:30, hoping I don't have random food particles stuck to my work attire, I breathe a sigh of relief. Because, as much as I love my daughter and my time with her, I love working too. In the 5-15 minutes it takes me to drive to meet a client, hopefully the transformation is complete and I am now in consultant mode.

I arrive home by 5 and then it's back to super mommy status. There are stories to hear about what has happened in the last 3+ hours. There is dinner to prepare. But, I'm still in my "work" clothes and there are still emails to answer. Worlds collide!
Split personality Mondays...

No comments:

Post a Comment