Saturday, January 15, 2011

The Power of Show Tunes

Anyone who spends more than 5 minutes with our family unit realizes I am not the preferred parent. Daddy is king at our house and I'm okay with that... most days. But, really, what mother doesn't have fantasies about ultimate mother-daughter bonding moments? And who expects their daughter to start rejecting them at age 3? You think I'm exaggerating. I'm not. Since about 3-years-old my daughter has thought of her father and me- especially me- as only necessary to get her what she wants. Even as recently as today she was complaining that she is often forced to do whatever her dad and I want to because we drive and she doesn't. We had to break it to her that she can't drive for another 10 1/2 years.

Understandably, I look for small moments of "bonding." I take them (read: steal them) when I can. Enter show tunes. My love of Glee (Season 1 in particular; has it already jumped the shark for Season 2? Discuss...) is no secret. And I often download the music. My kid steals my iPhone whenever we buckle into the car; we listen to Glee music. Over and over again. And we sing. At the top of our lungs.
Okay, some are inappropriate (Like A Virgin?) but some are just plain magical. Have you really listened to Defying Gravity lately? Who can't help but feel uplifted by that? So, we sing. And enjoy. And bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment