Thursday, July 26, 2012

Checking Out

This is from a few weeks ago but I wanted to post it because it was such a valuable thing for me to pay attention to...

Every once in a while it's good to check out.  Ignore the texts and emails.  Ignore the work due and deadlines approaching.  Ignore the dust bunnies scrambling around the house and just check out.  I was recently reminded of this.


Last week, due to a combination of a light schedule and a touch of stomach bug, my daughter and I had a day at home.  It. was. awesome.  We have a pretty full schedule around here regularly: school, dance classes, play dates, camp, swim lessons, art classes... oh, and let's not forget running my own business and other work.  Oy.  I'm getting a headache just reading that list.  Like it or rue it, it's our life for now.


But getting back to that awesome day last week.  I woke up, wasn't feeling great and had a bit of a slow start to the morning.  Mid-morning, my daughter suggested we do a little scrap booking, something I had been wanting to do recently but never got around to squeezing it in.  One hour led to another.  We had an incredible time- being creative together, listening to music, talking.  So great!


After, we had a little lunch, watched some junk T.V., and did some other not-too-urgent things.  It was totally rejuvenating.  All I could think was, "why don't I do this more often?"  Really, why?






1 comment:

  1. I love days like that. Unfortunately, we are "trained" that those kind of days are not days we should have. There's no productivity. Our society forces us to always be on the go. Just look at the difference between store hours in the US compared to any other country. And that's just shopping. I actually try to schedule lazy days in. Sad as that sounds, it's actually good. Days we have nothing to do. We get castles built, spy gear made, books read, dance parties happening, and even cookies baked. It's nice to slow down. It's nice to just BE.

    ReplyDelete