Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Year of Following My Intuition

Sometime after the first of the year last year, I decided that I was spending too much time "hamstering" (see upcoming post about My Isms) about certain work-related choices. It's like the cobbler's children that have no shoes, sometimes I'm not very good at following my own advice. So I decided that I would try to make more conscious decisions and choices in line with what I know I really want to be doing. Huge leap of faith for me to consider leaving behind some "safe" choices, things that are known to me. I first started by spending less time intellectually considering decisions ("it's a lot of money; this could be good for my career; it's the next natural progression...") and paying more attention to how I felt when a choice was before me. Without fail, there was always an immediate reaction. One that I would often ignore in favor of all the intellectual pro- and con-ing. I started to tune out the header "chatter" and pay attention to how I felt about a decision as I was making it. Did I have a sinking feeling in my stomach? Or did I feel good about it?

And let me tell you, really good things have started to happen. I almost don't want to make too much of a big deal out of it and jinx myself, but wow! The more I am saying "no" to the things that aren't part of my journey, the more things are coming to me that are a part of my "true north." So, I'm planning to keep it up and see where else this is going... I'm in for the ride now.


No comments:

Post a Comment